• Home
  • News at Glance
  • KSU Apologises for Bike Rally Violence, Restricts Future Agitation to Members
News at Glance

KSU Apologises for Bike Rally Violence, Restricts Future Agitation to Members

KSU Apologises for Bike Rally Violence, Restricts Future Agitation to Members
Email :5

Shillong, August 19: The Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) on Wednesday night tendered a public apology for the violence, vandalism and arson reported during its black-flag bike rally in Shillong, while announcing that future phases of its agitation will be restricted to authorised members.

Addressing a press conference at the KSU office in Jaiaw, KSU president Raymond Kharjana and general secretary Reuben Najiar said they were deeply shocked by videos showing civilians being assaulted and vehicles being damaged and set ablaze during the rally.

“We do not support or promote violence in any form,” the leaders said, while expressing their sincere apologies to those affected by the incidents.

The KSU maintained that it had instructed its members and rally participants to remain peaceful and refrain from any activity that could disturb law and order. The union said its earlier public meetings across the Khasi and Jaiñtia Hills had been conducted peacefully and with the necessary permissions from the respective district administrations.

According to the KSU, more than 800 motorcycles participated in Wednesday’s rally, significantly exceeding the approximately 200 riders the organisation had expected. The union suspected that individuals who were not its members may have joined the procession and carried out unlawful activities with the intention of tarnishing its image.

However, Kharjana and Najiar acknowledged the organisation’s moral responsibility for the incidents, stating that the violence occurred during an agitation organised under the KSU’s leadership.

“We understand the anger and frustration of the public. As leaders of the student body, we must accept the consequences because the rally was organised by us,” they said.

The union also assured that it would cooperate with the district administration and police in identifying those responsible for the violence, vandalism and other unlawful acts.

Future Agitation to Be Limited to KSU Members

In the wake of Wednesday’s incidents, the KSU decided that the next phase of its agitation would not be open to the general public. Only members of the KSU Central Executive Council and other authorised functionaries will participate.

The move, the union said, is aimed at preventing unidentified individuals or “negative elements” from infiltrating its programmes and causing disruption.

Despite the violence, the KSU said it would continue its agitation over its five-point charter of demands, maintaining that the issues it has raised—including citizens’ security, employment opportunities and transparency in government recruitment—are matters affecting the wider interests of the people of Meghalaya.

The union also appealed to the public not to lose sight of these issues because of the violence witnessed during the rally.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

2026-08-19