Shillong, Feb 16: CH Vijayashankar on Monday said Meghalaya is moving “steadily” towards regulated and scientific coal mining, even as the state reels from a recent fatal blast at an illegal mine in East Jaintia Hills (EJH).
Addressing the Assembly on the opening day of the Budget Session, the Governor recalled that thousands of families lost their livelihoods following the ban on rat-hole coal mining imposed by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) and later upheld by the Supreme Court of India.
“Since the NGT ban on rat-hole coal mining, upheld by the Hon’ble Supreme Court, thousands of people who depended on coal mining have lost their livelihoods,” he said, adding that the state government has been working to transition the sector toward scientific and sustainable mining practices.
Highlighting progress in the sector, the Governor informed the House that three applicants have received final approval and commenced scientific mining operations, with coal now being transported across the country by road and rail.
“Additionally, 20 more applications have been forwarded and are currently in advanced stages of clearance, marking steady progress toward restoring livelihoods while ensuring environmental responsibility,” he added.
Judicial Inquiry into EJH Blast
The Governor’s remarks come days after a deadly explosion at an illegal coal mine in the Mynsngat–Thangsko area of East Jaintia Hills, which claimed the lives of over 30 workers. The tragedy has prompted sharp criticism from the opposition, which questioned enforcement of mining regulations and safety norms.
Responding to the incident, the Governor announced that the government has decided to constitute a Judicial Inquiry Commission under the Commission of Inquiry Act to investigate the blast.
According to official data, 62 FIRs — including five registered prior to the Mynsngat–Thangsko incident — have been filed in connection with illegal coal extraction in the district. So far, 14 persons have been arrested.
Authorities have also seized 15,224.72 metric tonnes of assessed coal, along with 25.5 kg of gelatin explosives and 74 detonators.
Meanwhile, the Director General of Police has ordered a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into the blast to ensure the investigation reaches its logical conclusion and that action is taken in accordance with the law.










