Shillong, February 2: Health Minister Wailadmiki Shylla has assured a delegation from Hingaria Dorbar Shnong that the government will review the feasibility of establishing a sub-health centre at Hingaria, a border village adjoining Bangladesh.
The assurance came after members of the Hingaria Dorbar Shnong met the minister to press for the restoration of the proposed health facility. The state government had earlier planned to set up a sub-health centre in Hingaria, but later shifted the project to Mynkre, citing issues related to land availability and population criteria.
Explaining the decision, Shylla said that the Huroi sub-health centre, located approximately three kilometres from Hingaria, currently caters to the village, which has a population of less than 3,000.
However, taking into account Hingaria’s remote location and its proximity to the international border, the health minister said the matter would be reconsidered. “We will review the issue and try to find an amicable solution, strictly in accordance with the norms and criteria for sub-health centres,” Shylla told reporters on Monday.
The Dorbar Shnong urged the government to reconsider the decision, citing public health risks and the villagers’ right to basic healthcare services. Members of the delegation claimed that a land survey had already been conducted in Hingaria, but alleged that the project was shifted elsewhere on the grounds of insufficient land—an assertion they have denied.
According to village representatives, Hingaria continues to face high maternal mortality rates and low immunisation coverage, largely due to delayed access to medical facilities, underscoring the urgent need for a local health centre.









