Minister clarifies over repair of Jakhong road by villagers

Shillong, July 10: Tourism Minister and MLA of Mairang, Metbah Lyngdoh said that the re-tendering process for constructing a 5 km road to connect Jakhong village under his constituency will start soon.

Speaking to media persons on Wednesday, Lyngdoh said, the decision was taken after the department concerned has recently cancelled the work order and blacklisted the contractor for his failure to start the construction of the road even after the lapse of one year.

He said the government has sanctioned around Rs 4 crore for construction of the 5 km road under the PMGSY scheme.

“Accordingly tender was called and the successful bidder was allotted with the work order but the contractor did not start the work and refused to response to letters sent by the PWD. Therefore, the department has decided to cancel the work order and blacklist the contractor,” he said.

The Minister’s clarification on the road project came after a group of women under the leadership of ‘Iamynjurlang’ village organisation repaired the road by themselves from Jakhong to Umpongdeng. They said that the road was not attended for several years.

Denying that the government was neglecting the area, the minister said that the process for retendering will start very soon and the work will be allotted to a new contractor.

“I have also spoken to the executive engineer last week and requested to make arrangement to help the villagers in term of transportation,” he said.