Shillong, May 30: The number of deaths due to food poisoning at Nongkya village in Ri Bhoi district has reached to nine.
Sources in the health department said that while one patient died at Umsning CHC on Monday evening, information was received today that another eight patients died in different hospitals in Ri Bhoi and Shillong.
More than 200 persons fell sick and are being admitted in various hospitals in Ri Bhoi and Shillong as they were suffering from diarrhea and vomiting after they ate food packed in leaves along with pork on Sunday, when they attended a church service at Nongkya village in the district.
A magisterial inquiry has been ordered by the Ri Bhoi deputy commissioner, C.P. Gotmare. Police will also conduct an inquiry into the matter.
The district administration has also arranged one medical team at Nongkya village with all the requisite facilities to ensure prompt medical services.
The DC and SP, Ri Bhoi visited the bereaved families at Nongkya village apart from visit to all the four medical facilities – Nongpoh Civil Hospital, Bethany Hospital (Nongpoh), Umsning CHC and Bhoirymbong CHC in Ri Bhoi District where the victims of food poisoning were admitted, and they took stock of the situation.
As per the information, most of the patients are stable and are being kept under observation, the DC said.
4. A Magisterial Inquiry to be headed by ADM, RiBhoi District is ordered in the matter.
Samples of food and pork were also sent for test at Guwahati today.