COVID-19 positive cases shoot up to 58 in Meghalaya

Shillong July 2: The overall COVID-19 positive cases has risen to 58 in Meghalaya with three more persons testing positive for the virus, even as an army man has been declared recovered from the viral infection on Thursday.

“Two more high risk contacts of a positive case from Ri-Bhoi District have tested positive for COVID-19,” Chief Minister Conrad Sangma tweeted at night.

He said that the active COVID-19 cases have climbed up to 14 in the State as of now.

Health officials said that the two new patients are relatives of a person from Khanapara-B, who was tested positive on Thursday, and was working at the Green-Wood Resort in Guwahati.

Health and Family Welfare Minister Alexander Laloo Hek informed that the person had tested positive in Assam and the information was shared with the Deputy Commissioner of Ri-Bhoi district, R.M.Kurbah who in turn ran a RT-PCR confirmatory test on the person, which also turned out to be positive.

“We conducted a test after he was referred by the Assam government since he is a resident of Meghalaya,” Hek said.

All the three patients are now admitted in an isolation ward in the corona care centre at Nongpoh, the district headquarters of Ri-Bhoi district, a health official said.

On the other hand, an army man of the Assam Regimental Centre, who had been admitted to the Military Hospital here after having tested positive on coming back to Shillong from Guwahati recently, was declared to have recovered on Thursday.

With this latest detection, Meghalaya has registered 58 positive cases, which includes 14 active cases, 43 recoveries and one death.

Hek said that of the 19,994 swab samples sent for testing, 19,679 came out to be negative and results of 260 are awaited