Jugalis suspend strike as MeECL extends merit list by 6 months

Shillong, July 26: Qualified candidates for linemen posts on Wednesday called off their agitation temporarily after the merit list of the candidates was extended by another 6 months by the Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL).

The candidates, some of them worked as casual jugalis in different sub-stations across the state for many years, staged an indefinite strike for the past three days since Monday demanding immediate appointment of all the remaining candidates.

The validity period of the merit list is likely to expire on August 1.

Out of 772 qualified candidates, so far the MeECL in a phase manner has appointed only 306 candidates whereas a total of 466 are yet to be issued appointment letters.

The protest was supported by the Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) state youth wing.

However it was a sigh of relief for the agitating jugalis when the MeECL came out with an office order (for extension of the merit list) issued by its joint secretary D Warjri.

The order stated – “In pursuance to Board of Director’s Resolution dated July 7, the notification dated August 1, 2016, notifying the list of candidates for appointment as Jugalies, which is due to expire on August 1, 2017, is hereby revalidated for another period of 6 months upto January 1, 2018.”

Announcing the decision to withdraw their agitation, KHNAM youth wing president Thomas Passah said they are only temporarily suspended the indefinite strike to allow the MeECL to ensure all the 466 odd candidates are appointed.

Asking the MeECL not to misunderstand with this decision, Passah however said, “We will continue to stick to our main demand which is to ensure all deserving candidates are appointed.”

The candidates have also served a three-month deadline to the MeECL to complete appointment.

Passah said that if the MeECL failed, the party along with the candidates would be compelled to intensify their agitation by staging an indefinite hunger strike along with their families and children.

“The MeECL has assured that candidates under second phase will be appointed by August and if they failed, the CMD should keep his promise by stepping down from the post,” he added.

Passah said that they would continue to stage peaceful agitation at least two days every month to remind the MeECL the need to speed up the process of appointing the candidates.

Hits: 53

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.