MCTA meets Chief Minister over pay revision for staff of adhoc colleges

Shillong Sept 18: Representatives of the Meghalaya College Teachers’ Association (MCTA) on Wednesday met Chief Minister, Conrad K Sangma at his residence in the city and apprised him about a government notification which stated that the 5th Pay Commission is not applicable to teaching and non-teaching staff of seven adhoc colleges in the state.

During the meeting, the MCTA delegation informed the Chief Minister that in the past, the 127 teaching and non-teaching staff of these colleges had been extended and in 2012, the adhoc teachers pay was enhanced as per the 4th pay revision.

“However, recently a notification issued by the Education Department of the State Government states that the benefits of revised pay as recommended by the 5th Meghalaya Pay Commission and implemented by the Government vide M.S.(ROP) Rules 2018 is not applicable to employees of adhoc educational institutions.”

Stating that collegiate education in Meghalaya is provided by four government colleges, 15 deficit colleges, and 7 adhoc colleges apart from other private colleges, the MCTA said, of the colleges supported by the government through grant in aid, it is 6 of the adhoc colleges that are providing yeoman services to the rural youth of the state.

“Hence, upon learning of this notification issued by the Education Department of the state government in response to their appeal to the government for extension of the 5th pay revision, the adhoc college teachers feel that the government is meting out discriminatory treatment to them by denying them the pay revision benefits as extended to government and deficit college teachers, though the adhoc college teachers perform the same nature of duties,” the MCTA argued.

The MCTA also said that in the case of adhoc college teachers who receive a salary comprising of Basic Pay and Dearness allowance only, the government extends its assistance by bearing 75% of the salary as grant in aid, while the remaining 25% is borne by the management of these colleges.

The MCTA therefore stressed on the Chief Minister’s commitment towards the education sector, and urged upon him to recognize the services rendered by teachers of these adhoc colleges in the state.